On the railway low loader
almost ready to lift.
The NDC staff installing a turbocharged
Sirron P Type Mkll 6cyl engine
into an Everard ship.
The date and vessel is not clear but it is almost certainly the Frederick T Everard, Goole, 1954. The engine could not be dropped directly into the engine room so it was lowered into the hold. The double skinned bulkhead between the hold and the engine room had already been removed to allow the new engine to be pulled into position. This was a joint effort between Everard's, the Newbury Diesel Company and the Goole shipbuilders. The installation was supported by the NDC technical staff who would also ensure that there was representation available once the engine had been turned over to the ship owner, including the sea trials. The engine has arrived on a British Rail low loader and would have left the Kings Road factory, after testing, strip down and rebuild for transportation.
David Stacey, who has been kind enough to provide the set of on board photographs, is the fresh faced lad standing by the flywheel below the scavenge trunk, in the two photographs taken whilst the engine was being pulled down the specially constructed ramps, into the engine room.
There is a good view of a piece of ancillary equipment on board and that was a NDC generator set on the starboard side powered by a 6 cylinder "C" type eng.
The NDC engineer in charge with the beret and glasses was Bill Smith. He was always available to attend on site whenever a Sirron engine was installed or just needed some TLC. The other NDC employee on site was Eddie Goddard, the chap standing behind David.
There were two other important people in the team and that was the representatives from Everard's as the owner’s representative and the Goole shipyard, foreman , both of them in suits wearing trilby hats. Of the two, the yard foreman is the person leaning with his back on the engine in the last photograph.
According to David, the reason Bill Smith has a worried look on his face was because whilst hauling the 70 ton engine up the slipway, the flywheel started to detach itself from the crankshaft due to the pulling cable putting an amount of tension on the flywheel instead of it all supposedly being on the crankcase. But, all was well in the end.
The Goole shipyard welders and cutters, cut through two bulkheads to allow the access and on completion, the plates which had been swung to one side, were placed back in situ and the welders got to work replacing them. It is worthy of note that the welds were inspected by the Lloyd’s inspectors after completion and were declared faultless.
The photographs were commisioned by either the Everard company or the Goole shipyard and were taken by a local commercial photographer for Central Studios at Goole by Norman Burnitt.
The engine was a turbocharged P Type engine, a 6PMkll. The vessel was in all probabliity the Frederick T Everard in 1954 with engine number 846 but it is marginally possible that it may have been the Georgina V Everard with engine number 848.
(see addendum below )
The following addendum to the engine installation was sent to me
by Barry Banham......
The vessel with the main engine being installed into the engine room from the hold I am sure is the FREDERICK T EVERARD 2,535 gt built at Goole 1954. The engine is a 6 cyl 2SA 1600 bhp Mk 2 P type Newbury.
This engine had a serious break down in the mid 1960s when the second engineer reported to the chief engineer that the main engine had lost oil pressure. They put the standby lube oil pump on to lubricate the engine but as the engine was now running at extreme temperatures this caused a crankcase explosion causing a connecting rod to break and burst the crankcase, this unfortunately killed the second engineer and badly burnt the chief. The ship was towed into Great Yarmouth and after a Board of Trade enquiry work commenced on repairs to the engine ie replacement crankshaft, pistons, conrod etc fitted and the crankcase was repaired by stitching. This took about three months. The vessel sailed for Goole to be drydocked as the engine explosion had damaged the tank tops and the FREDERICK T EVERARD was too long to go in drydock at Gt. Yarmouth therefore they completed the tank top repairs at Goole to my knowledge the vessel had no futher problems.
(14th july 2011)
MV Frederick T Everard
MV Georgina V Everard
On November 27 th 1965 whilst en route from Lervick in Norway to London carrying a cargo of paper the 1,542 ton Frederick T Everard, was caught in south-westerly gale. She began to list and became unmanageable as paper on the deck soaked up water. An attempt was made by the crew to jettison the cargo but as the wind increased she ran aground between Peak Steel and Blea Wyke, Ravenscar.
A May Day was sent out and Whitby lifeboat the Mary Ann Hepworth was launched at 2:20am. Ravenscar and Robin Hood Bay's Coastguards struggled through the deep snow to the cliff top. The lifeboat battled through the heavy seas and squalls of snow to the scene. In a brilliant demonstration of seamanship, Cox’n William Harland rescued the twelve crew who, after abandoning ship, were laid alongside in a rubber dingy. The lifeboat then rescued Capt. William Conn and the Chief Officer who had remained aboard.
This however was not the end of the Frederick T. The wreck was sold for scrap and a salvage operation was set up. A landing craft, a caterpillar crawler and two tractors were used. The landing craft sank at it's moorings in Whitby harbor, the remains of an abandoned Ferguson tractor and the Vickers Caterpillar can still be seen at Ravenscar. Because the wreck was in an inaccessible location, little was actually recovered and the operation went bankrupt.
Part of the wreck can be seen on a low tide.