Have yet to get the full story but in 1938, the MV Aqueity fitted with a Sirron 3SBD engine, ran aground at Margate and at the time was carrying a cargo of cement. It looks as if the locals were helping to lighten the load but what the interest would have been in cement, one can only surmise.
The second ship of the same name was a coastal tanker built in 1945 for the Ministry of War Transport as Empire Belgrave and after the war in 1947, sold to FT Everard and renamed Aqueity ll. It was lost that same year when it hit a wartime mine off the Dutch coast.
As it happens, a third Everard ship with the same name, Aqueity, a coastal tanker, nearly scuppered the Cutty Sark which was then secured alongside HMS Worcester at Greenhithe. As it happens, this ship was fitted with a 4cylinder 2SA British Polar main engine and not a Newbury Sirron. However the Aqueity name runs through the three ships and as it is a jolly yarn, it's worth including,
At 6 p.m. on 30th January 1952, all hands on the Cutty Sark rushed on to the upper deck on feeling a crash on the starboard bow. There, in the darkness, could be seen a fully laden tanker of some 800 tons, belonging to Messrs. F. T. Everard and Sons. Greenhithe, that had run foul of the bow of the Cutty Sark, and powerless to manoeuvre, was interlocked with the clipper and crashing her down in the strong ebb tide alongside HMS Worcester. The 40 foot jib boom of the Cutty Sark immediately caught the fo'c'sle rails and carried them away, the jib boom itself snapping at the inboard end, carrying away all fittings, including the arm of the " Naughty Witch," the figurehead. The bow of the Cutty Sark then scraped down the Worcester's starboard side, damaging plates, platform and fittings, and carrying away her own stout port cat-davit. Fortunately, the Cutty Sark’s yards were braced round and did not foul those of the Worcester which might have led to serious consequences. Cutty Sark and Aqueity finally drifted astern clear of the Worcester; the former dropped her anchor, which eventually brought her up, whilst one of the four moorings of the Cutty Sark still held, and with the help of this, two launches and a tug, she was held and then slowly towed up river alongside Everard's floating crane. Here the remaining mooring cable was cut in order to free her, and at 2 a.m. she was towed and secured to the Rainham Tier buoys off Erith, where she remained for some days until taken in hand for repair by Messrs. Green and Silley Weir, Ltd., at Shadwell Basin. The missing arm of the "Naughty Witch" was recovered days later at Ward's Wharf, Thurrock, and sent to London for replacing on the damaged figurehead.
HMS Worcester and Cutty Sark together at Greenhithe
This picture shows the SA Everard on 29th June 1976, sporting the Everard colours on the funnel, just passing under Tower Bridge in the Pool of London.
Everard's commisioned in 1939 from the builders, Fellows & Co of Great Yarmouth, a tug which was to operate in the Pool Of London. It was fitted with an 8cylinder 800bhp Sirron 8L engine which was originally destined for the MV Sodality but it was decided that the 7L which was built at Newbury for the tug would be used in Sodality and the 8L used in the tug. The tug, the SA Everard, was 124 tons gross, designed to tow 2,400 tons, a load of six 400 ton river barges and was, in its day, the most powerful tug on the river. The 8 cylinder Sirron engine was the largest built to date at Newbury. Everard's were very conservative with the engines supplied to their fleet and they only built one other 8 cylinder and that was an O type in 1943 for a Ministry of War Transport tanker, the MV Lady Kathleen.
In addition to the two stroke reversing main propulsion engine, the tug carried two Newbury four stroke engines, one of which at 30bhp, ran a generator/compressor set, the other a slightly smaller engine of 20bhp, also driving a generator but with a pump set. The salvage pump, shown on the right, was driven by an electric motor.